g

Monday, February 14, 2005

Valentines Day - Heart Surgery

Finally back to work, like day 5 or 6 or something of the flu and am starting to feel somewhat better, probably 80%.

I have to get better since I am having my heart surgery on Thursday. I am not sure if I have posted about this in my blog or not, but I have a few fun things with my heart like a heart murmur, mitral valve prolapse, but of more consequence I have a condition called SupraVentricular Tachycardia (SVT for short) which is basically a fancy word for rapid heartbeat. You can google SVT/heart etc and read all about it. This has been a lifelong thing that I am finally going to get taken care of.

I can be sitting completely still, laying in bed, playing online poker, eating, etc and my heart will just race upwards to and beyond 200+ beats per minute. These sessions can last anywhere from 10 minutes to 2 hours and man are you worn out when its over. Best way I can describe it is like someone taking a hammer from the inside of your chest and beating out with it. The next day you are usually tired and sore like you took a beating.

This surgery is called an EP Study with Catheter Ablation. Basically they take 4 catheter tubes (2 in the groin (ow!) and 2 under the collarbone and run these catheter tubes in your veins to your heart and map the electrical system. Once they find and trigger the electrical malfunction that causes the rapid heart beat they shoot a little radio frequency shot and ablate/laser it off. If all goes well my problem is cured for life. If all does not go well then some potential side effects are stroke, heart attack, need for pace maker, and lastly and certainly most unlikely, death.

I report to the hospital this Thursday at 6 am and should be out by the end of the day and back and at em by Saturday or Sunday.

Tonight I plan on playing cards for a few hours. The wifey works til 10:30 so plan on having a rose and champagne waiting for her when she gets in. Maybe I'll get lucky tonight, who knows? ? :-D

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home