g

Monday, October 31, 2005

Bubbled Twice!

I played a $10+$1 LHE SnG on Party Poker and bubbled 4th out of 9th when I had A8 on the button and raised it up, flop came A8Q and was up against AQ, #@$%@#$% RIGGED!!!!

That one didnt suck as bad as this one. Last night I played in one of those $20 Stars 180 person SnGs and this would make a good todays 'WHAT WOULD YOU DO?' question.

The way these tournies work is there are 180 people who pay $20, but nothing is paid until top 18. 10th - 18th pays $43.20, 9th $61.20, ... 2nd $720, 1st $1080. So the real money like most MTT style tournies is at the very top.

Heres the situation, there are 20 people left and you are 9th in chips sitting good to make the money with the bubble just 2 away.

Blinds are 600/1200 ante 75 and you have $12,042T

You get dealt 2 red Kings in the BB and it folds all the way around to the button who is a solid player who makes a button min raise of 2x (2400), the SB folds and its your play. The Button has you covered by about $3000 chips so if you get all your chips in the middle and lose your out of the tourney with $0 or you can play it safe coast into the money.

Would you A) Call, B) Raise back "X" amount, C) Push

Since it was a button move and this guy was first to enter and it was a min raise I decided to "C" and pushes my stack as I wasnt there to play for 10-18th. He called immediately and had AQ and and A hit the flop and Q hit the river and I was out.

Here is the way the hand played out .. http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=view&hand=157720

I think I made the right move here and to be honest I think the button made a terrible call risking nearly all his chips on a drawing hand that close the the button, but it worked out for him and I noticed the guy that busted me went on to win 1st and the full $1080. That could have been me!!!!!!!! ARGH!

Current BR = $1406

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given that you're on the bubble and he has you covered, I probably smooth call and wait to see if there's an ace on the flop. If there is, I don't put all my chips in the middle. If not, I push. My $0.02

Jeff

6:13 AM  
Blogger dna4ever said...

jeff, i agree that was the other play that went through my head, but being the fact it was a min raise button steal i felt like he could have had anything there and for him to call nearly all his chips he would have to have a monster and the only hand im in real danger to is AA.

If he folds I pick up $4725T and am in 4th chip position with $17000-$18000T. If he calls I'm probably in good shape.

The bubble thing is what made it so hard, but I definitely wasnt playing for 10th - 18th so I am still thinking I made the right play, but again your suggestion did go through my head.

I just got my HOH2 book in the mail and hope there are some good end play suggestions that will address these types of situations as well.

6:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dna, i would of push all in pre-flop! when your playing multi tourneys you have to play to win unless you were short stack then thats a other story. peace joel

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DNA, fwiw I think you made the correct move because you were going for the big bucks. If you were just interested in cashing then calling the min raise and seeing what happens from there would probably be the way to go.

Another way to look at it is this: Assuming he has Ax do you want to risk your tournament life with a 72/28 advantage? More than 1 out of 4 times you go broke.

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home